Recently, all of us were keep monitoring the largest outbreak of respiratory disease which was caused by the novel coronavirus. According to WHO (World Health Organization- 2020), Coronaviruses (CoV) or also known as COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease 2019) are from a large virus family, which causes sickness ranging from the common cold to more early encountered severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).
Since it been a cause to feel anxious, most of the common public or hospitalized patient encounter many doubts on how to control the dangerous viruses from being circulate. Applying the best incorporated health-care protocols in routine life is the most simplest way to prevent infections from spreading around.
Standard recommendations to prevent our-self from getting infected is by washing our hands, covering mouth and nose using clean mask when coughing or sneezing, reducing raw food intakes or cook meet and eggs thoroughly. But we as an optometrist, there are few more detailed protocols that always been suggested by the clinical experts to be incorporated by the eye care practitioners.
General disinfections was concered as:
- Use isopropyl alcohol (IPA min 70%) regularly or after each use at common contact areas such as mirrors, door handles, spectacle frames, showcases, servicing tools that always comes into contact of nosepads.
- Wash hand with anti-bacterial soup regularly before and after serve each client/patient and dry hands completely with disposable tissue
During Eye Examination:
- Trial frames, forehead rests, chin rests and handlebars should be cleaned with disinfecting spray or IPA after each patient.
- Use face masks when in close contact with patient
- Wash hands with anti-bacterial soap and dry it with clean tower/tissue paper before and after contact lens fitting
- Disinfect trial lenses before and after eye examination.
- Prior to a comprehensive eye examination, ask patient if they have any history of travelling to overseas within the past 14 days. If so. do take note of their name , contact details and which country they have been to
- Get some health information related to symptoms like fever,cough, runny nose and sore throat. Patients are suggested to consult medical doctors if symptomatic and reschedule appointment to check eyes.
Maintaining a good environment and clean surroundings is always mandatory to everyone to make sure healthy lifestyle is maintained.
If there is any inquiry, do not feel hesitate to look for your best optometrist in KL